The coursework for this module is to be an essay written in continuous prose, containing up to a maximum of 2500 words. You have to critically review these two books :
The Wealth and Poverty of Nations by David Landes
Why Nations Fail by Daron Acemoglu and James A. Robinson.
Note: David Landes in his book concentrates on Culture and Ideas when arguing his main points. Note:On the other hand Acemoglu & Robinson focus more on Institutions when answering their main arguments of their book,
The coursework must include the following elements:
• A brief overview of what’s in each book (focusing on the essence of the argument).
• The books’ reception by the academic profession. This is where the book reviews come in. What do the reviewers criticize? Do they have a point?
• An evaluation of each book (Is the argument consistent? Are there any obvious holes? Is one book stronger than the other?)
• A comparison of the books (Where do they clash? Where do they complement each other?)
Other than that, students are free to be original and use the books as a starting point for academic reflections related to the books’ content;
Note: The review of the books need to have at least 20-30 references/ Harvard style. Also you can structure the coursework as following:
2) Critical review of each individual book
3) Comparisons between the two books (where do they clash, to they have similar points, or they diverge on certain subjects)
4) How do international reviewers criticize each book and if the point of the reviewers is strong enough.
5) Conclusion (Considering all the points above what is your main takeaway/opinion from these two books)