Task: discuss a policy tackling a health, social care or social issue, focusing on the PROCESS of policy development.
Policy objectives, how the issue got on the agenda, evidence base, policy formulation process and theories underpinning the development of the policy.
*PLESAE FOCUS ON A HEALTH AND SOCIAL POLICY
You can tackle this task in various ways. Here are some guiding points:
- focus on the first part of the policy cycle:
- choose a policy addressing a social issue – give details: name of the policy, when it was launched, by who etc.
- What issue is this policy addressing? and explore how did it get on the government’s agenda?
- Discuss the general framing of the issue and the socio-economic and political context
- Outline main policy objectives – what is it trying to achieve?
- Discuss aspects relevant to the formulation process (who was involved, what evidence underpinned the debates in the formulation stage etc)
- Offer a theoretical reflection on the process of framing and formulating the policy.