- Think about a special occasion speech that you would like to present on a topic of your choice.
- The speech can be for any context and any length, but the purpose must be to commemorate an occasion. See the list of example occasions for inspiration.
- Download and answer each question in the Unit 1 Touchstone Template based on the speech you are thinking of: Touchstone1Template.doc
- Consider your audience, purpose, and thesis. Answer each of the questions related to audience, purpose, and thesis. Answer in detail, using complete sentences.
- Review the rubric to ensure that you understand how you will be evaluated. Contact a Sophia learning coach with any questions.
- Review the checklist and requirements to ensure that your Touchstone is complete.
- Submit your completed Unit 1 Touchstone Template on Sophia.
Public Speaking Touchstone 1 Template
Complete the following template, including all parts. Fill out all cells using complete sentences, aiming for one to three complete sentences for each cell of the template.
|A1.||What is the correct context for the speech? Where and when will it be given?|
|A2.||Who is the audience and what are their characteristics?|
|A3.||Why has the audience come to hear the speech?|
|A4.||What are the interests of the audience?|
|A5.||What does the audience know about your topic?|
|A6.||What is the audience’s point of view on the topic?|
|A7.||How will the audience likely react to your speech?|
|P1.||What do you want your audience to know?|
|P2.||What do you want your audience to think?|
|P3.||What do you want your audience to feel?|
|P4.||What do you want your audience to do?|
|T1.||What is the most important message of your speech?|
|T2.||Why should/will your audience care about your message?|
|R1.||Are your audience, purpose and thesis aligned? Why or why not?|
|R2.||What did you learn from this experience?|