The research question or purpose of the study guides decisions about theresearch sampling. How might researchers ensure that they select asample relevant to the research without introducing a bias?
Discussion Question 2: Evaluating a Sample
Read the following two studies. Be sure to read the entire articles, not just the abstracts.
- Abraham, J., Sick, B., Anderson, J., Berg, A., Dehmer, C., & Tufano, A. (2011). Selecting a provider: What factors influence patients’ decision making? Journal of Healthcare Management, 56 (2), 99–114.
- Chullen, C. L., Dunford, B. B., Angermeier, I., Boss, R. W., & Boss, A. D. (2011). Minimizing deviant behavior in healthcare organizations: The effects of supportive leadership and job design. Journal of Healthcare Management, 55(6), 381–397.
Compare the two studies by analyzing their samples. Use the following questions to guide you.
- What sampling design is used?
- Is the sample size adequate?
- How does the sample affect the validity of the conclusions of the study?